Thursday 11 October 2007

Kamakura

This is a popular Japanese drink I always see in anime. Decided to try, nothing fanciful just fun to pop the marble in. Too bad they did not allow me to take the bottle back.

Upon entering Kamakura, you will walk through a long stretch of road with plenty of shops. This is definately a tourist place judging by the things they sell. I think their speciality is yam as there are plenty of yam ice cream.



I never knew Baskin Robbins looked like that. She is prepared for Halloween; which is pretty popular here I think. The departmental stores are all decked out with such deco.
They have people pulling you around if you are too lazy to walk. Anyway the place is really too big for anyone not used to walking.



Try walking into small alleys and found really nice houses and trees. I thing the neighbourhood is for the rich.

I think this is the Tsurugaoka Hachiman-gu Shrine (鶴岡八幡宮).



Along the way there are some shops selling food. Pretty interesting I would say.

Before entering most of the temples, you have to wash your hands. And monkey see monkey do, the Japs drink from it, we drink from it too; obviously from the water coming out straight from the bamboo and not the pool.




There are plenty of such things where you can pay some money to read your fotune or write your wishes.I got mine....
and tied it up too
There is a very very very old try which is huge.








Candy coated apples

One of the most famous site - Kōtokuin (高徳院). Home of the famous Great Buddha (大仏 Daibutsu), a bronze statue of Amida that at 13.35 meters is the second largest in Japan


The buddha's slippers....

Zeniarai Benten Shrine (銭洗い弁天). An atmospheric shrine in the hills dedicated to the deity Benzaiten, but popularly named after the most common activity: according to legend, any money (zeni) washed (arai) in the cave here will be doubled.





Wash my money for more money...

On the long walk to different temples, I saw a amusing sign.

We took a longer route unknowingly which lead us to a 2 hour trek in the forest. Our first pit stop was s smaller temple and we found a water sprout (Actually a water cooler)

No comments: