Monday 8 October 2007

And it all begins

We went to Toshiba HQ for orientation and paper work at the HR department. The amount of people walking from the train station was overwhelming. We had to queue to use the lifts even though they have at least 12 lifts going to different parts of the building. The paper work was tedious as writing the address in Jap is difficult (I still have not memorise my address). In japan, they use signature together with a chop (slightly smaller than a 5 cent coin). Forms are all in Jap which is almost unreadable. Their year comes in many different counting forms depending on the Kings. I really don't understand which cant they just stick to a single form format.

My friends did something that has never been tried before in the HQ.....


Japan Trains...



We went to check out their version of Courts - Big Camera and Odobashi Camera at Kawasaki. They use a point system where you can accumlate points (10% of the price) and exchange them as credits. Both places are huge; they sell everything you can think of. Things you can consider getting over here; cameras (Fuji F50 for $480), hot water dispenser (about $60), mouse (logictech mouse are abt $60-70 cheaper), harddisk. There are probably more, but I did not check the prices and you can get points to offset for future products. Let me know if you want to check the price difference of a certain product. I can probably get it cheaper when I go to Akihabara (Think simlim square but many times bigger). I got myself a fridge which had free delivery because we bought 5 at a go. And I used my points to purchase an additional 4 years guarantee, which also means it is free. Delivery usually takes 2-4 days depending if they can fill the truck, but since we bought 5, they delivered it the next day.




Along the way, I pass a place with the branded shops like Gap, Zara etc. I saw something I never see in Singapore other on ‘America’s Next Top Model’....Banana Republic.


An interesting note I saw


Japan have Mister Donuts and I must say, I really like to more then whatever I tried. It is not very sweet, not very oily and they even have chewy versions. I even have their point card; hopefully I can get enough points to exchange for something.

Tried to call back from the phone booths, really expensive I must say. 100 yen probably gets you 30 seconds to call back Singapore.


No comments: