Sunday 9 December 2007

Ueno Shop and Unagi Meal

I always thought Ueno was a place with a famous park and zoo. But I was wrong in all aspects. Near the park there was a huge area filled with shops. Tons of shopping and food at really good prices.

This looked pretty good eh, cracked an egg into something like an Okonomiyaki. Tasted really good too.I don't usually like mayo, but the Jap version really rocks.



Look at the awesome straberries. I found the most expensive ones so far. Cost about $60 for 12. And they were huge.
I really wanted to try the real Unagi and found a few people recommending Izuei Honten at Ueno. It has 260 years experience in making Unagi.




(Sorry for the underexposed pictures, but somehow the camera went bonkers). The photo does not really show how good it looks. But sad to say, I think I am too used to Unagi slapped with ton of teriyaki sauce. This good in the sense that you can taste the charcol, the skin is done to perfection, the rice was flavourful. But I always thought the sweetsauce was good. So apparently we are eating crappy stuff which is good to the palettes.

This this is just werid. Tororo, which was a thick, cold broth with grated yam in a dashi base. Apparently you are supposed to mix it with the rice and eat it.

Unagi Inards in a tasty soup.
Behold the glory....

No comments: