Sunday 1 March 2009

Experiencing more of Tokyo

Met up some friends for a walk around Tokyo. We went to a Thai restaurant called "Bang Saen", sounds like Bang Sai?

We went to 御茶ノ水(Ochiyanomizu) which has a whole street of shops selling music related stuff. It is the Akihabara for musicians.

Just down the road is a street selling sports related goods. Like Queensway, but only many times bigger. From the big department stalls to the small individual shops, any sports stuff can be found here.
I found a racket that I used when I first tried tennis. And the set in the case actually belongs to one of the William sisters.
We then headed down to Akihabara for the main highlight of the day. Check out the cosplay singing session going on.

We had to queue up in the stairs to get in. It was maddness.

Get in where you ask? Presenting my virgin trip to a maid cafe. I went to @home Maid cafe which is arguably one of the popular ones in Tokyo. It ranges 4 different floors, each with a different theme - from Kimono, to maids.
What do you do in a cafe with waitresses dress up as maids? Well, for starters...they greet you as "Master...Welcome home" in their cutesy voices. If you order omelete rice, they will draw cute pictures on it with ketchup. We got the special cocktail and the maid will shake it infront of us while saying things like "Moe Moe, Shake Shake, ......." And you have to repeat after it. They will even toss your spaggetti with chants like "moe moe furi furi oishi....." which you join in too of course. It is hard to explain what goes on, you just have to go in to experience it yourself. You can pay to play games, take pictures with the maids. My favourite is actually to see the Otakus in there, they actually have a whole file of pictures they took with the maids. (Click on the links to read more abt the stuff)

And finally I was in the club...I have a membership card.

The maid wrote in a cute manner my name. Oh ya, you need 2000 entries to get a black membership card. You think that it is difficult? I saw a few people carrying it, but they are usally the ones with a file of the maid pictures and seemed to know the maids.
I am overwhelmed. Shocked, suprised, amazed at what I just experienced. Lost for words.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

finally u went! haha..when is the next trip? when are you getting the black card?

ay said...

The next time is when I need to bring people there.

Black card is impossible for me