Sunday 17 February 2008

Snowboard

I went off to Nagano (3 hours bus ride away from Tokyo City) for a day trip to learn snowboarding. WOOO HOOO!!!!! First time snowboarding, for that matter; I have not even ski before (Other then the X-country ski which is totally different). We had to catch the 7.30 bus so we can get a couple of hours of snowboarding. Which meant, I left my dormity at 5.20am. Goodness, but no choice...did not have the cash to ride the shinkansen.

A whole bunch of newbies and no proper lesson. We got a friend to teach us the basics. Ermm, which is more like how do you put on the board, stand up and break. The rest is left for us to explore. The falling down came to us all very rapidly.


I thought one of the many challenges was to learn how to get up the lift and alight from it with your board on. It was a case of monkey see, monkey do. And of course, plenty of falls.

Not too sure why, but I think it is actually quite easy to pick up. Of couse the falls and collection of bumps is part of learning, it was pretty much alright. I can roughly do some simple snowboarding. And with better speed control and more practice, i will probably look cooler while i board down! haha! The next time, it will be learning other boarding patterns.

In my collection of falls, I flipped and spun like many times before landing on my ass. I caught the tip of the board while falling down and spun even more. I lost control and found myself in a snow ditch under the ski lifts. And many many many manymany more.

A word of advice, get proper gloves. Check out mine....if became ice after the few hours of snowboarding.


Ouch....my knee is brusied. I had a very big fall which resulted constant pain in my butt and lower back. My wrists hurts from breaking the falls and my muscles are acheing from the exertion. I expect tomorrow to be worst, when the full effects of fatigue hits in.

So what is my advice for learning boarding. Hmm...don't be afraid to fall. Knocks are common, but without them, you will never move pass the first obstcle of sliding slowly and breaking.

No comments: