Sunday 27 July 2008

Summer Activities in Japan

At the peak of the heat, the Japanese will all gather at the beach to soak in the sun with their tents. It can get so crowded, the whole beach area is filled with umbrellas and tents. The good part is you get to see the babes in their bikinis and the hunks in their trunks.

And as if the heat is not bad enough, the Japanese also hold BBQ over the summer. It is so common that you may have to reserve places to hold this party. BBQ is usually done beside the river to keep cool. Of course other then BBQ, there is the beer. I went to a BBQ today with my dormitory people. No pictures as I forgot to bring my camera. I spent my time helping to cook and drink the beer to keep cool.

Fireworks Festival (花火大会) is very popular in summer. Japanese Fireworks differ from what we have, theirs is mainly rounded. But they still come up with pretty interesting display. The custom is for the people to dress in traditional Yukata and gather to watch this show. In my opinion, it is just another excuse to gather, drink alcohol and eat.

During Summer, all over Japan, Hanabi Festival is held and the amount of fireworks differ from places to places. Today I went to 国営昭和記念公園花火大会 after the BBQ to check out the fireworks. It is stated that there were abt 5000 fireworks and the display lasted for AN HOUR. It was so long, I felt drowsy midway. Imagine the more popular fireworks festival has about 20000 fireworks. I heard it last for more then 2hours. That is insane!



Check out the number of people, and that is only one part of the park.

Girls in their Yukata

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OHHHHH i miss fireworks! ONE HOUR is exaggerating leh.. and i miss diving!!

Unknown said...

Im not kidding, minus the waiting time in between...maybe 45mins. But imagine those really famous and big fireworks festivals, I bet it last for close to 2 hours